Is your primary language different than English, or did you grow up speaking English and another language? If so, you must have an ESL Placement.
We offer an extensive program for non-native speakers to prepare you for your coursework. To assist with determining your placement for your success, you must complete our Duolingo English Test online, unless you have an exemption.
Students with disabilities who may need assistance with their Placement should contact our ACCESS office prior to taking the test. You may also contact Duolingo for assistance.
Review the following information to help determine your placement.
- You must have an OCC email account and OCC student ID number.
- Make sure you complete the Mandatory New Student Orientation.
- Check the EXEMPTION LIST below. If exempt, schedule an appointment with a counselor. If not, complete the ESL Placement Process.
Completing and receiving results takes a minimum of four (4) business days.
ESL Placement Process
All students MUST practice before taking the Duolingo English Placement. For practice and placement information:
- Log in to your MyOCC account
- Click on Students Menu
- Under Pre-Registration Steps, click on Duolingo ESL Placement
- Read carefully and follow directions
To take the ESL Duolingo English Placement:
- You must use the OCC Code provided. No payment is required.
- You must use a laptop or desktop PC or MAC with a camera and a microphone.
- You cannot use a smartphone, tablet or Chromebook.
If you do not have access to this technology, contact ESLP@oaklandcc.edu.
ESL Placement is mandatory for your registration at OCC to place you into the appropriate level of ESL and other courses at Oakland Community College.